Monday, August 16, 2010

Culprit #1: Ketchup



Oh, that luscious corn syrup taste!  I have a friend who seriously stock piles McDonald's ketchup packs because she says they taste better.  I think McDonald's ketchup may just have more high fructose corn syrup than the normal Heinz brand ketchup.  It really does taste sweeter.


I love ketchup.  I love it on burgers.  I love it on potatoes (sigh, fries!).  I love it in sauces.  It just tastes good and makes other stuff taste good, too.  Unfortunately, it is a Cupboard Culprit!  Most ketchup is full of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and it highly processed.

So? What can you do?  Recently Hunt's has released ketchup that doesn't contain HFCS. It is still full of sugar and highly processed.  I have purchased organic ketchup in the past.  It tastes just a little different.  It still contains a lot of sugar.  Don't be misled! Organic sugar will still give you a muffin top!  Organic sugar is no better for you than plain granulated sugar.  Cane syrup might be slightly better because it gives you a little of the nutrients from the cane plant.  Molasses & honey actually do have some health benefits, but they are still very calorie dense and should be used sparingly.


The best...and cleanest...option for ketchup is to make your own.  I found a great recipe from HillbillyHousewife and it contains NO preservatives.  It actually is quite tasty, too!  I like to make a large batch of this.  Then I just divide it up into small freezer bags and freeze 'em!  Never run out of ketchup again! Plus, by making your own ketchup (as the HillbillyHousewife points out) you will be saving a lot of money!



Tomatoes are so delicious just as they are.  Why do we need to add nasty HFCS to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 Comments!